About Youth Co:Lab
Co-created in 2017 by UNDP and the Citi Foundation, Youth Co:Lab aims to empower and invest in youth so that they can accelerate the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through leadership, social innovation and entrepreneurship in the Asia-Pacific region. Held in 25 countries and territories in the region, Youth Co: Lab strives to deepen and expand the youth entrepreneurship ecosystem and provides incubation and acceleration support to young social entrepreneurs.
About Youth Co:Lab Japan 2019
“Youth Co:Lab Japan 2019” will be held in late November at the United Nations University Headquarters Building in Shibuya, Tokyo.
*” Youth Co:Lab Japan 2019” originally scheduled on Saturday, October 12 was postpone to the following dates due to Typhoon Hagibis.
- 22 November (Fri): “Social Innovation Challenge” Final Pitching Contest
“Social Innovation Challenge Japan 2019” is a business idea contest where selected teams will pitch and showcase their SDG-focused business models and ideas to a panel of esteemed judges. The individuals and teams who passed the paper screening will pitch their solutions. Award-winners from the Japan contest will have the opportunity to join the accelerator programme and the top teams will be invited to attend the Youth Co:Lab Regional Summit which will take place in April 2020 in Malaysia. You may witness the birth of next social entrepreneurs in Japan.
- 26 November (Tues) Japan Dialogue
A symposium “Youth Co:Lab Japan Dialogue” will serve as a platform for young people to directly engage with policymakers and private sector partners, including incubators, youth-led organizations, NGOs and academia, on how to develop entrepreneurial solutions to social and environmental problems.
- Place | United Nations University
- Co-leads | United Nations Development Programme, Citi Foundation
- Supported by | NPO ETIC., WeWork Japan
- Maximum Capacity | 100 people each
- Registration | Advance registration required. Register here
- Participation Fee | Free
“Social Innovation Challenge Japan 2019” Final Pitching Contest
Date | 22 November 2019 (Fri) 19:00-21:30 (Doors open 18:30)
Place | United Nations University, UN House, 2F, Reception Hall
Language | Japanese/English (Interpretation available)
19:00 | Opening remarks | Mr. Lee R. Waite, Citi Country Officer & Japan CEO
19:10 | Social Innovation Challenge Japan 2019
Final Pitch Contest
The individuals and teams who passed the first screening will pitch their solutions in front of a panel of judges and audience. Each presentation is followed by Q&A by the judges.
Finalists’ project titles:
- Monthly subscription meal delivery service “Utilize the leftovers as your daily treat”
- Connecting countries and making Japanese traditional clothing (Kimono) as ordinary clothes
- Let’s aim for recycling all coffee grounds!
- Making a future for women farmers in low upland areas in Japan
- Eco-friendly fishing equipment “Bio Fishing Items”
- Raising awareness for lipid management using calorie cut dish “calorica”
- Inter-generational house sharing
- Japan’s first water refill app MyMizu
- Live1st - Community health care workers that you can rely on
A Panel of Judges：
- Ms. Atsuko Suzuki, Director, Secretary General, NPO ETIC.
- Ms. Kumiko Hidaka, WeWork Japan, Vice President, Public Affairs
- Mr. Daisuke Takatsuki, Representative Director, Social Invest Partners
- Mr. James McCarty, Co-founder and COO, Zehitomo
- Ms. Yumiko Watanabe, Director, Head of Public Sector, Corporate Banking, Citibank, N.A.,Tokyo Branch
- Mr. Beniam Gebrezghi, Programme Specialist, Civil Society and Youth, Governance and Peace Building Team, UNDP Bangkok Regional Hub
20:45 | Social Innovation Challenge Japan 2019 Networking Time
*All participants and finalists are invited to join
21:15 | Social Innovation Challenge Japan 2019 Award Ceremony
Closing remarks | Mr. Beniam Gebrezghi, Programme Specialist, Civil Society and Youth, Governance and Peace Building Team, UNDP Bangkok Regional Hub
Youth Co:Lab: Japan Dialogue
Date | 26 November 2019 (Tues) 19:00-21:30 (Doors open 18:30)
Place | United Nations University, UN House, 1F, Annex Space
Language | Japanese
18:30 | Doors open, coffee networking
19:00 | Opening remarks | Ms. Yumiko Watanabe, Director, Head of Public Sector, Corporate Banking, Citibank, N.A.,Tokyo Branch
19:10 | Keynote Speech “Creating Social Innovation" | Mr. Toshihiro Nakamura, Co-founder and CEO, Kopernik
19:30 | Session 1： Power of Youth～Nurturing Youth Entrepreneurship in Japan
- What are the challenges and opportunities for youth entrepreneurs?
- How do we promote youth entrepreneurship and support social entrepreneurs in Japan?
Moderator: Mr. Masayoshi Suzuki, Vice President, Borderless Japan Corp.
- Mr. Kaito Miwa, CEO, e-Education
- Ms. Hinae Niori | President & CEO, manma
- Ms. Mariko Mori | Founder, StartupBaseU18 / President & CEO, Matsuriba
20:15 | Break
20:30 | Session 2：Creating an Ecosystem to Promote Social Innovation and Youth Entrepreneurship
- How do we create an ecosystem to promote social innovation and youth entrepreneurship?
- Roles played by start-ups for the achievement of the SDGs.
Moderator: Ms. Atsuko Suzuki, Director, NPO ETIC.
- Dr. Shigeo Kagami, Professor, General Manager, Office of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Division of University Corporate Relations (DUCR), The University of Tokyo
- Mr. Shohei Sakota, Deputy Director, Industry Creation Policy Division, Economic and Industrial Policy Bureau, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
- Ms. Eriko Suzuki, General Partner, Fresco Capital
21:15 | Closing remarks | Mr. Tetsuo Kondo, Director, UNDP Representation Office in Tokyo
Please feel free to consult with us if you need any special support to attend the events.